When I think of burger and chips, I automatically starting counting calories. I am the kind of person that isn’t very good with exercise, but I love food 😊, so I always try to come up with alternative ways to cook my food so I am able to watch my weight but still enjoy all the foods I like to eat. Today’s recipe is a Friday night favorite, I mean, who doesn’t like a good burger, but you and I both know that a “good” burger isn’t always great if we are watching our weight 😊.
So, after trying a few (and believe me when I say a few) recipes, I was able to create this recipe, which I believe strikes a good balance between enjoying your food but still eating healthy.
Delicious homemade burger and chips ingredients
- Less than 5% lean steak mince (500g)
- Chinese 5 spice (use 1 teaspoon for 250g of mince)
- Garlic granules (use 1 teaspoon for 250g of mince)
- Sweet potatoes (1 used 2)
- Liquid Maggi / Salt (as you desire)
For the burger when it’s done
- Brown bread roll
- Light cheddar cheese
- Salsa sauce
- Set your oven at 180°C to start heating up
- Chop up your sweet potatoes into your desired shapes. You can either fry the sweet potatoes (which I wouldn’t advise for this recipe because it is all about keeping this version healthy) or you can grill them, which is a much better option. I tend to air fry or grill them depending on my mood but either way, it still tastes delicious.
- When it is ready, set aside until your burgers are done or cook them at the same time.
- Now mix all the dry ingredients in a small bowl
- Add the Maggie/salt into the same small bowl according to your taste
- Add 250g of the mince into a separate bowl
- Add the ingredients in the small bowl into the mince bowl and mush everything thoroughly together
- After you are happy it is all mixed, now all you have to do is shape the mince into your desired burger shapes
- Use a baking tray or tin foil on one of the oven racks, whichever you prefer and place the burger shapes on them making sure that they are kept separate and not touching each other
- Turn your oven down to 160°C
- Put the burgers in the over for 15/20 minutes at 160°C. Depending on the thickness of the burgers you may need to leave it for longer.
- Make sure you keep checking on it until it is cooked the way you like to have your burgers.
- Once they are done, you now have to build the burger how you like it.
- I then place the burger on top of a brown bread bun, add some of the light cheddar cheese, add the jalapenos, add a dollop of the Salsa sauce before finishing it off by closing it up using the other brown bread bun.
- And there you have it guys, a delicious homemade burger and chips that helps if you are trying to maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Enjoy
Don’t forget to share your meal ideas or feedback if you tired this recipe, down below in the comments.
Also if you want to check out my YouTube video to see exactly on how I cooked this at home, CLICK HERE and whilst you are there guys, don’t forget to subscribe to my channel and hit that notification bell.
I hope this post was helpful and if you want more information, please contact me and don’t forget to subscribe to my blog for all the latest posts, information, freebies and much more sent straight to you inbox.